WHY HOME STAGING IS IMPORTANT WHEN SELLING YOUR HOME!
The first and most important thing is that not all home buyers can imagine themselves living in an empty home. There are only 10% of home buyers that can visualize the potential of the home. An empty home makes it very hard for the other 90% to connect and fall in love. It is also hard for some to imagine where they would put their furniture without a frame of reference. Not everyone can picture something that does not exist. This is also why interior designers exist because not everyone knows how to do it.
According to a 2014 Zillow Survey of Real Estate Agents, hiring a professional home stager is the second BEST investment a home seller can make in the process of selling their home.
Another benefit of staging a home is your photos will stand out online for potential buyers.
In the below picture of a home that is not staged. You are looking at a living and dining room floor plan. Potential buyers may not be able to see what this is intended to be. In fact, 90% of them will not be able to imagine where to put the sofa, tv, dining table, or anything.
THE EFFECT OF A STAGED HOME
By giving home buyers that visualization of a beautifully staged home you are giving them that I am home feeling. This way they can picture themselves living there with the bonus of where they can put their furniture.
In Virginia Beach, we sometimes have a home show called “Homearama”. You get to walk through the most beautiful homes. These homes are staged and the “Homearama” is always a huge success. As I walk through them I listen to the other viewers and they are oohing and awing while saying how much they want to live in these homes. They would not get this sort of reaction if they were empty homes. I know this because occasionally I have seen a Homearama home with an empty room in it and I have heard other viewers saying, “We can skip that one. There is nothing to see, it is empty.”
THE COST TO STAGE A HOME
The Cost of Staging Doesn’t Cost A Dime! In a Home Gain Survey of over 2000 Realtors, it was discovered that the aspects of home staging typically provides a 399% return on investment! Of course, there are upfront costs, but these can be recovered with the sell of the home.
Some of the different ways stagers charge are:
- There are stagers that buy the furniture and accessories for you. This way you get to take them with you to your next home.
- There are stagers that rent their furniture and accessories to you for a specified time and sometimes month to month. This cost can vary depending on if the home is vacant or occupied.
- Finally, some stagers rent furniture to use in your staging from places like Cort Furniture Rental in which they may have you sign the rental agreement directly and then they have you sign an agreement with them to rent their accessories and stage your home.
If it is occupied, sometimes it is possible to use the current furniture with a different layout, some decluttering, and maybe some fresh new accessories added.
Vacant staging is for a home that has nothing in it. Vacant staging costs also vary based on the size of the home and the number of rooms staged.
THE COST OF NOT STAGING A HOME
The average vacant home takes twice as long as an occupied home to sell. Selling investment properties, or moving before your old home has sold can create a hefty financial burden with months of carrying costs and maintenance. You can avoid this potential extra cost by calling a home stager.
The Longer Your Home is on the Market, the Lower the Price Will Be, so STAGE FIRST!
Visit: Oasis Home Spaces for more on home staging
What other tips would be helpful to you in your decision to hire a stager? Share with us in comments!